Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Triops Adventure, Days 4-5

These little guys are certainly growing quickly! They are big enough that you can now make out all THREE EYES – hence the name “triops”. They have two regular, compound eyes, plus one eye on the top of their head that senses light – to let them know which way is up.

Of course, I’m unable to post a picture of one of these critters, since we (me, myself and I) chose a jam jar with a diamond pattern on it for a hatchery, and camera lenses don’t seem to like the resultant optics.

hatchery next time, a jar with straight sides

Either way, the triops seem to be thriving. Yesterday we gave them their first “solid” food. (Although I guess the fairy shrimp that were in the pond conditioner with them were their real first solid food, but this was the first fish pellets.) As per the instructions we crushed up two pellets and sprinkled a feast of 1/4 of the resulting powder into the jar.

food 
triops food – don’t eat it all at once!

Today is the day we should be setting up the full-sized tank, but since I’m going out tonight I figured we should wait until Keeghan and I can do that together … they are supposed to be his, you know. :)

That should be fine anyways, since they’re not scheduled to actually move in to their new home for a few more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment